Sunday, October 21, 2012

Learning to Live in a Multispecies Pack with One Human and One Cat

Morning Report:
Well, we are beginning day three.
There are so many fun stories to tell, I am not sure how to choose a few for this post!
Toko is lying quietly at my feet as I write! First time. Gotta love it! Is this why I got a dog? To keep my feet warm?
Yesterday I finally figured out what to do about the cat, who was hiding downstairs. I took Toko to visit her. After a good walk to tire him out I carried him down where she was on my bed. I sat next to the bed, holding Toko and working with him to not bark at her. He learned quickly. I moved us closer to the cat, so I could pet her. Toko got to watch her move around and even make some of her sweet chirping sounds in response to my petting. He need occasional correction about barking, but the cat stayed and even came closer. More petting, one hand on dog, one hand on cat. Then I carried Toko back upstairs.
This morning, after our walk I took him down to her again. Hardly any attempts to bark from Toko. Got pretty close to the cat right away. And! They touched noses - or got within 1/4 inch of touching noses - twice! There IS hope for our multispecies pack!
Our second night went quite well. Bed at 8, up at 5! with only one out to potty, at 10:30, which was mercifully efficient!
I slept in the living room again, a bit farther from his crate, and, (oh am I grateful!) got a fairly decent night's sleep.
I have three outings planed for us today, PetSmart - second visit. The first was yesterday and was overwhelming for Toko. We ended up sitting in the front while a PetSmart staffer got us some wood shavings for his indoor potty. Lots of people came and cooed at him though. He really does like people, but barks at the other dogs.
He also barks at the "puppy in the mirror" when it is dark out and he sees his reflection in the sliding glass door.
Second outing, I hope, will be to Kaleo's baseball game. It's a longer car ride, but he seems to like the car. Even hopped into it when I opened its door, and into his crate in there, even though I wasn't asking him to do it. The ball park is nice and open and grassy with many people and children(!) and a few other dogs. Rats. Ballgame rained out. Maybe next week.
Third outing will be to visit my church small group in the evening. The house where we meet has two resident dogs, two resident cats and two visiting dogs (maybe).
Until he's much better at not messing we can't visit too many places, but this house has hardwood floors and is animal friendly, so I will bring along the paper towels and vinegar/water solution and hope for the best.
Interrupt. Dog at my feet went out. Dog did. Came in and played. Now it's crate time. I hope he'll settle down so I can have a shower! And, maybe, breakfast!
Sorry no pictures. They will come.

Afternoon report:
We went to visit Jennifer and Kaleo and Janet and Tonja and Koda the Husky mix dog. We had a blast. Koda, being so much bigger than Toko was a bit scarey, but we worked on it. Lots of sniffing. Then Tonja, Janet and Koda went out and Jen and Kaleo and I played three way 'Toko come' and he did great! He attatched himself to Jen after she gave him some of Koda's kibble. He fell asleep at her feet while she did a few dishes, and stayed asleep on the mat by the sink after Jen left.
At home (Toko had another positive car ride, to and from Jen's he rolled around in his crate chewing on the toys in there.) everyone was tired, and, during another 'visit to the cat' we all fell asleep on the big bed.
I haven't had to mop up a mistake since 9 this morning.
Now Toko is just waking up from being asleep on my feet while I sit on the couch. Time to hustle out to the potty.

Tried to take some pictures. My phone camera does not do well with an active puppy.
 The only pictures that are any good are of him sleeping.




No comments:

Post a Comment