Thursday, October 18, 2012

Toko: Everything You Want to Know About the Name

His name, subject to his approval tomorrow, will be Toko.

His registered name will be Coedwig's Blue Toucan.
Coedwig is the name of the kennel where he was born.
Blue is for his coloring. Grey and black and white is blue in Cardigan Corgi circles.

Toucan is his litter name. They were all named after birds. If you look at his body it has those wide stripes like a Toucan bill.
Here's a picture of him and all his littermates when they were just 10 days old!
 
Well, I just haven't wanted his everyday call name to be Toucan. So what nickname can you get out of Toucan?
It's somewhat of a stretch, but Toko does connect to Toucan. (the T and the K sounds)

And better than that, Toko is a special name.

It is short for the middle name of my #2 grandson Felix, (pictured here with a giant snail!)

I needed to write to him in Bristol England and get his permission to use his name for my dog.


Dear Felix,
I have an idea for a dog name, but I have to ask your permission before I think about it any more!
I want to call him Toko. But you are already Thoko - Felix Thokozani Gibson Brown.
So - would it be alright if my dog uses your name for about 15 years? (That's how long they live.)
If you don't like the idea of my dog being called Toko (without the h) I will not call him that.
If you say yes I will try it out on him when I bring him home on Friday.
If you say no, that will be the end of it and he will be called something else.
I hope you can let me know one way or the other soon!
Lots of love!
Grandma


Felix wrote back the next day: 
 Y E S!!!
LOVE FELIX

Where did Felix get the name?

Felix was born on Thanksgiving day, 2002 in Capetown South Africa, the first child of Taylor Brown and Sam Gibson (my daughter). They lived in Zambia at the time. English is the first language there, but Swahili is next, followed by many tribal languages. Thokozani is Swahili for thankful. Felix's dad still sometimes calls him Thoko to remind him of his name and its origin. So we are very grateful that Felix has lent his name to my dog Toko. I hope when I see him tomorrow, and bring him home, the name Toko will fit him every bit as much as I think it will. 

That is the story of his name. Hope he likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment