Friday, October 19, 2012

Toko is Home!

The half hour car ride from Coedwig to home was not too bad.
I pulled over about four times to settle him down when he would start to get really wound up.
As we were on the last leg of the drive he fell asleep.
When I pulled into the drive way and stopped the car he woke up. I opened the door to his crate, but he wouldn't come out. He went back to sleep!


Fortunately, Kim had sent a whole pile of handouts of articles and feeding tips and training tips, so I sat and read them while Toko slept . . . for two hours!
From one o'clock to now he has been busy. We played outside and he was excellent at following me, so we could walk/trot for quite awhile, something I did not expect. Off lead - he is only starting to get used to his collar. He has made good progress with it, actually. I've had it on and off him several times.
He certainly knows his name is Toko.
When we came inside we ran into issues. First, I was so focused on him, I forgot about the cat. She hissed. He barked. She ran. I caught him. He forgot about her. She sat in a corner. He found her. He looked at her. I held him. Then I took him away from her. Then he went back and barked. This time the cat ran down stairs, and there she still is. Poor cat.
Then there's the potty problem.
Although I have given him many opportunities, he has not gone potty outside that I have seen. He has gone potty inside once. grrr.
Now he is asleep. In his kennel. I do hope he will be happy to potty when I take him out after he wakes up.
The first five hours of dog ownership/pack leadership have been exhausting.
But he has learned a lot about my house and outside of my house. As I said, he is an excellent follower. Sometimes he will decide he doesn't want to follow, and sits, but he comes if I squat, clap my hands and call him. Then it's 'lets go' on the next leg of our walk.
Now, however, I need to see how the cat is fairing.

No comments:

Post a Comment