Saturday, October 27, 2012

So Many Stories, So Little Time

How could 8 days fly by so fast?

About on Monday he really loosened up. He began to fly around our grassy space (the size of an average yard, but condo common area) "herding leaves" Since then I have learned to be a sheep. He can herd me all he wants in this game, except he is not allowed to make contact with teeth on pant legs, or ankles. This helps with wearing him out, and when he starts running round and round in the house I take him out for "crazy dog run around". Obviously no pictures of this. Good exercise for me too.

On Tuesday I took him to my office. Technically I was on vacation, but I thought I would bring him in to meet some people and get used to the place. He enjoyed finding new toys
 and ended up asleep on my feet while I got several hours of work done!
Other remarks -
Potty.
By the fourth day totally gotten 'potty'. All it took (and still takes) is getting him out every half hour when he's awake. Books said every hour & 1/2. Not. Once, when I was late with 'reading his signs' (sniffing, whining) he marched into the kitchen and barked at me. Oh my, there was a puddle. I felt so bad forcing him to do that. 'Course he could have barked before he wet, but I thought it was pretty sharp of him to bark at me. I whisked him outside where he had more in him to 'empty'. His only 'misses' are when I forget . .

Cat.
Cat and dog are able to stay peacefully in the same room. This is mostly the cat's choice, but reflects on Toko that he doesn't bark at her or rush at her.

Training.
Trots along nicely at the invitation "lets go", both on and off leash.  Sometimes he stops and won't go. Finally I figured out that usually he is scared when this happens, so I go to him and pet him until he settles and we can 'lets go' again.
Making progress with down.
Not doing sit because, as a potential show dog, he shouldn't be encouraged to sit in training sessions so he won't do it when being judged. Supposed to do 'stand'. Haven't worked on it yet.
Crate. Does great in crate. Whines, but understands and responds to  'Quiet!' followed by 'good Toko'.
Come. Not entirely reliable when he is into some really good smelly spot in the yard. Working through this with treats.

Social!!
This dog is a social nut! Will run to any squatting person. We have our friends at my work, a huge collection of random people at PetSmart, and the neighbors. Other dogs are a challenge. I wish there were more calm well mannered dogs in the world. Maybe 20% of the dogs at PetSmart are like that. The rest are crazy, and all the neighborhood dogs are crazy so far. The neighborhood cats are easier!

Vocabulary.
In addition to the above, he appears to understand 'car' and surely understands 'wait' (to get dried off when we come in the door) and 'off' (get your feet off me/the couch/whatever). I have learned to growl like a momma dog when he bites too hard or doesn't listen to 'off'. Always followed by 'good Toko'.

Massage.
Breeder Kim recommended doing this and it is wonderful. I have found some sweet places that he specially likes, but we're still working on calming down when I want calming down so he can properly enjoy one.

I am still photographically challenged. I have taken and erased many blurry pictures. Probably should try video. But phone is grumpy. Could get a pic of dog asleep with cat nearby doing likewise, but dang phone has frozen. So this is all for now.









No comments:

Post a Comment